70 Glenwood; Where Have You Gone

If you’ve been following my blog for a little while you may have remembered the property at 70 Glenwood St. This is the property with some major fire damage where we completely knocked out the floor of the first level. If you missed that video you have to see it … click HERE to watch it!!

Well we hit some delays getting our heat on there because the gas company told us they cut the line at the street and they wouldn’t be able to fix it until spring time. Long story short, they finally sent someone to the house and realized the line wasn’t cut at the street and we did have gas to the house, however we lost a good amount of time because we couldn’t get heat to the house, which also meant no water.

So I have a video we put together awhile back, as well as some more recent photos of the property near completion. Heres the video:

And here are some pictures of the house nearly complete. This is the first property we started using those nice archways, we borrowed the idea from Tom Tarrant over at www.TomTarrant.com .

Check it out:

Living Room with Bamboo Flooring

Front Door Looking from Living Room

Kitchen Looking from Dining Room

Archway Between Dining Room and Kitchen

Kitchen

Full Bath

Master Bedroom

Finished Attic Space

New Main Support Beam

This house was a small two family home that we converted to a single family. It is now 4-5 bedrooms with 2 1/2 baths and maybe 1600-1700 square feet.

Next step is to stage it and get it SOLD!!

Bringing Down the House… Part Deux

Heres a little bonus footage we put together to follow up on my last post.

*Warning: These are trained professionals, please don’t try this at home*  🙂 

Enjoy!

Bringing Down the House…..

well maybe not the whole house….. just the first floor.

Heres a look at how we fixed the fire damage at 70 Glenwood St. If you remember from my previous post(video or photos), the fire in this property started in the basement and burnt all the floor joists and support beams in the front half of the house. So to fix it we had to cut out the whole floor. Luckily I was there with my camera to capture the whole thing. Heres a look:

Cutting out the Floor

Cutting out the Floor

102_5849

First Section Gone

102_5851

Second Section Gone!

102_5852

Almost There

Ripping out the Last Peice

Ripping out the Last Peice

Can We Save these Hardwoods??

Can We Save these Hardwoods??

All Gone!!

All Gone!!

Looking at the Front Door from the Basement

Looking at the Front Door from the Basement

Heres Whats Left of our Floor!!

Heres Whats Left of our Floor!!

After cutting out the whole floor our contractor rebuilt it from the ground up.
Heres our shiny new floor:
New Floor

New Floor

102_5888
And a look from the basement:
New Center Support Beam

New Center Support Beam

New Floor Joists and Plywood

New Floor Joists and Plywood

Whew, that was a lot of work…. I’m tired from just looking at those pictures!!

Glenwood Fire Damage – an Upclose Look

Things are moving right along at the Glenwood St project. Last week we passed all our rough inspections and insulation inspection. This week the sheetrockers were there hanging drywall, taping and mudding. Next step is to paint and begin all our finish work.

I made a short video of the fire damage at this property. The fire started in the basement at the old electrical box and burnt up through to the first floor. Most of the damage was done in the basement to the floor joists and support beams, including the main support beam. Have a look:

 

I’ll show you how we fixed it in the next post…..

 

.

70 Glenwood Update

Work is well underway at Glenwood. We actually started renovations back in August before we even closed on the house.  After hitting quite a few delays in getting clear title we finally closed on the property last Friday. By the time we closed we had already put a new roof on the house, gutted the interior, reframed the interior, and replaced the fire damaged support beams, floor joists and half the first level floor. I wouldn’t recommend doing this much work prior to actually owning a property… we were definetly getting nervous as weeks went by and we still weren’t clear to close.

Heres a video from week 1:

Glenwood Pics

The property on Glenwood is another fire damaged home. It was being used as a two family prior to the fire, but because it is so small (for a two family) the best use is to convert it to a single family home.  We’ll be rearranging the floor plan a bit and making the house 4 bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths with a large finished attic space similiar to Hartford Terrace. The property is a full gut and we will be doing a new roof, some siding, new electric,new plumbing, new heating, new kitchen, new baths, etc…. The fire started in the basement and burnt up alot of the floor joists, sill plate and main support beams.  The owner of this property stopped by our fire damaged three family project and was impressed. He asked our contractor if we’d be interested in his house on Glenwood. We were out of town at the time but our contractor toured the property with the owner and gave us the green light.

Here are some pictures of the house in all it’s glory!!

102_5599

102_5625

102_5605

102_5606

102_5612

102_5614

102_5621

102_5622

102_5664

102_5665

102_5670

Sneak Peek-New Rehab – Glenwood St

Heres a quick look at a new rehab we are starting in Springfield…… another condemned, full gut, fire damaged property. Paint and carpet rehabs are for Wimps!!  Check it out:

 

Stay Tuned….. More Pics to Come